Hemingway’s mom and her thoughts on The Sun Also Rises:
The critics seem to be full of praise for your style and ability to draw word pictures but the decent ones always regret that you should use such great gifts in perpetuating the lives and habits of so degraded a strata of humanity …. It is a doubtful honor to produce one of the filthiest books of the year …. What is the matter? Have you ceased to be interested in nobility, honor and fineness in life? …. Surely you have other words in your vocabulary than “damn” and “bitch”—Every page fills me with a sick loathing.
The family of Ernest Hemingway in 1905. From left: Marcelline, Sunny, Clarence (Hemingway’s father), Grace (Hemingway’s mother), Ursula, and Ernest.
- genqueue reblogged this from pejmanyousefzadeh
- blindmen6 likes this
- takearide reblogged this from thetinhouse
- tumbullr reblogged this from thetinhouse
- nouvellabooks likes this
- othernotebooksareavailable likes this
- crowtendr likes this
- thicketsandthings reblogged this from thetinhouse
- thicketsandthings likes this
- pejmanyousefzadeh reblogged this from thetinhouse
- bradleywarshauer likes this
- thetinhouse posted this